Monday, March 16, 2009

Why I love Avocados



As a girl who has been on the brink of starvation, avocados have been my life line! They are my Super Food, and are often attendees at my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any snack in between.
Honestly, I could go on and on about the nutritious benefits of this fruit, but I will attempt to explain my addiction to them in the following three paragraphs:
1. NUTRIENTS
The avocado is rich in vitamins and minerals; including Vitamin C, E, K, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Potassium. In fact, this fruit has more potassium than a typical banana. Another bonus is Fiber. The avocado as more fiber than any other fruit.
2. EASILY DIGESTED
I find that only people who have experienced extreme fatigue, weakness, and chronic pain pay any attention to how much energy it takes your body to digest food! The foods you eat can determine the difference between a "good day" or a "bad day". The avocado is soft, soluble, and easily assimilated by your digestive system.
3. ALKALINE
Our bodies PH levels affect many conditions and diseases, some of the most common ailments being nausea and heartburn, or yeast, bladder, and urinary tract infections. The standard American diet tends to be acidic, due in part to overly processed foods and carbonated beverages. I have personally found that I feel better when I consume alkaline foods and beverages, and the avocado is alkaline.
I often grab a whole avocado (or two) for a to-go breakfast or snack. Granted, you have to take a knife and spoon along for the ride. I eat them plain, or sprinkled with salt and pepper. If I'm not on the run, I will take the time to drizzle some lemon or lime juice over a mashed avocado, and season it with crushed garlic, salt, and pepper. A dash of dried red pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, diced tomato and onion, or chopped fresh herbs make for easy variations.
Of course, to me, there is nothing like fresh guacamole. I use it as a dip for vegetables, corn chips, or nacho's that I make using spicy almond cheese, as I can't have real cheese. (Dairy AND mold...that's what I call "double jeopardy".) I glob it over salads and tacos, and use it as a condiment on hamburgers.
I slice avocados over steak as a editable garnish, or stir in a chopped avocado to steamed rice for lunch or dinner. As an ingredient, this fruit is extremely versatile.
Both my guacamole and my avocado-white bean dip are often requested by my friends and family for get-togethers, parties, potlucks, and holidays.
I would definitely suggest you try the white bean dip; it's very fulfilling. The amount of ingredients I use varies, depending on the size of the avocados, and freshness of the garlic and cilantro.

Avocado-White Bean Dip
1 can (no sugar added) white beans
2 large avocados, mashed
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2-4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 tbsp lime juice; add more as desired
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
red pepper flakes
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Mix, mash, and stir all the ingredients together in a appropriate sized bowl. (I use a great mashing tool from Pampered Chef which was actually designed for hamburger.) Make sure to rinse all of the seeds from the jalapeno pepper unless you like heat! Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a dash or two of red pepper flakes last for a little spice and color.
I prefer to cover and chill this dip in the fridge for at least an hour to let the flavors combine. You may even want to let it set before adding your final seasonings. The lime juice will keep the avocado from browning.
Serve with Fritos, tortilla chips, veggies, or anything you can dip!

6 comments:

  1. I love avocados. Sounds like I need to make a grocery run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just discovered your blog--great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great I love your blog! Please check mine out I think we have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. garlicmom.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete