Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tomato and egg toast with green onion

One of the diseases I've developed is Candidiasis, or chronic candida, which is essentially a whole body yeast infection. This yeast, called Candida Glabrata, is a mutated and resistant form of the more common Candida Albicans. My infection was caused by long term use of anti-biotics and Diflucan in my early twenties. Candida feeds on sugar, so it is very important that my diet has an extremely low glycemic index. I also try to consume foods which are anti-fungal, as yeast is a fungus. That's just the beginning. I avoid fungus, molds, and yeast as much as possible. This means no mushrooms, cheese, or traditional bread. I don't eat peanuts, peanut butter, or cashews as they are nuts which commonly have a high mold content. No vinegar, as this feeds the yeast. No idaho potatoes or cooked carrots as they are starchy and turn quickly to sugar as they are being digested. Most vegetables are fine, but I have to be careful with the ones that have a higher sugar content, such as tomatoes or corn. Eggs and meats are okay provided they are hormone and anti-biotic free. I obviously can't have cured meats, such as bacon or ham, as they are cured with sugar. No dairy or lactose, except yogurt as the enzymes in yogurt enable it to be digested differently than your typical dairy products. Also, yogurt is a good source of probiotics, or friendly bacteria, which keeps the yeast in check.
So, the question when I was diagnosed with this condition was, "How do I get enough nutrition while having to eliminate so many foods?"
It's been a struggle but necessity is the mother of invention. Pictured above is my very healthy, nutrient rich breakfast I enjoyed this morning.
Tomato and egg rice toast with green onion.
2 slices yeast free gluten free white rice bread; toasted
2 thin slices fresh tomato
2 hormone free, anti-biotic free eggs
chopped green onion or cilantro
1/2 avocado, sliced
Sugar and vinegar free salsa
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
Plain unsalted butter (Optional)

Grease frying pan with Olive oil; cook eggs over easy, season with salt & pepper to taste. Butter toast sparingly. (The butter is optional as it is okay for candidiasis only in very small quantities.) Place 1 slice tomato on each piece of toast. Season with salt & pepper. Set 1 egg on top of each tomato. Sprinkle with chopped green onion or cilantro. Serve with dollop of salsa and sliced avocado on the side.
Easy, quick, healthy. Filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment