Saturday, March 14, 2009

My History of Mal-Nutrition

My health problems started when I was very young. I attribute this to my diet of powdered sugar, white bread, and dill pickles. Seriously, that was a balanced meal for me.
I was the eldest of six children. Honestly, I can't remember a time when my mother was not pregnant or nursing. It was her dream to have six children and she accomplished her goal by having one almost every two years from 1981 thru 1995. I blame the pregnancy cravings for my diet as a child. If my mother was craving pickle juice for breakfast, we all had pickle juice for breakfast. If my mother wasn't hungry the rest of the day due to any of the aliments from "being with child", then none of us ate. This is partially why my mom has never weighed more than 110 lbs. in her entire, not carrying a bun in the oven, life.
Needless to say, I was a skinny kid. In junior high, when I reached 5'8", I was often called "beanpole" or "toothpick". Like most girls, I started getting curves around age 15. This traumatized me as I was convinced that my curves were "fat". I know now, that I am very decidedly not "fat". But at that time, I did not understand that it was okay to weigh anything more than my 5'3" and 110 pound mother. Thus began the dieting.
I hate the word diet. There is such a huge difference between eating healthy and dieting. Dieting often involves self deprivation. In my experience, self deprivation leads to mal-nutrition. Mal-nutrition causes numerous health concerns, including low immunity, longer healing and recovery times, and inability to effectively fight infection.
I never considered myself not to be on a diet. I was never skinny enough, as I was never as skinny as my mom.
I graduated high school at a fairly healthy 125 pounds. I gained the usual 10-20 pounds my first couple of years after high school which only frustrated me and increased my desire to completely avoid food. I lost a dramatic amount of weight, and reached 115 when I was 23. I will not tell you how much lower my weight got, lets just say it got low enough to cause extreme fatigue and weakness, and almost destroy my immune system. Colds and viruses that my co-workers would catch for a day or two would make me bed ridden for weeks.
Regardless of all this, I honestly thought I was healthy simply because I wasn't overweight. In my mind, skinny was healthy. I consistently wanted to lose more. More, more, more. I didn't think it was possible to ever lose enough. I felt good, because my family and friends were asking me for tips on how to lose weight. I was obsessed.
The reason I'm giving you this history is because I truly believe that if I would have had healthier eating habits, and been able to maintain a healthy weight as a child and young adult, I never would have suffered the illnesses that have forever changed my life. (More on those later...)
I am still 5'8 and fluctuate between a healthy, if on the leaner side, 127-132 pounds. Old habits die hard, so I prefer the 127; while my doctor and nutritionist constantly push me towards the 132. Either way, it's only five vanity pounds, and I'm happy with my weight.
I don't diet. Nor will I ever diet again. But I do eat healthy, lean foods that are rich in the nutrients that our bodies need to SURVIVE, be strong, and resist disease.
The purpose of this blog is to be able to share what I have learned.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such an intriguing experience. What was truly intriguing was your experience after high school and the weakening of your immune system...wow

    I strongly agree with your dislike of the word diet and I can really relate to how you have developed your eating habits due to the influence of your mother.

    It was just last year when I became more aware of health and nutrition that I noticed how poor my entire family's (meaning family in my household and outside of our household) eating habits are. Especially with the main course of our meals are prepared at night after a long day at work.

    When my family finds me eating healthy they'll jokingly state that I am on a diet and I hold my tongue the best I can not to offend their lack of awareness that eating healthy is supposed to be a priority, a lifestyle; in order to live a life worthwhile.

    Dieting is such a restrictive word.
    Eating healthy is LIBERATING.

    I can't stand the vision of seeing my entire family at an older age complaining about taking medication for high blood pressure, diabetes, etc especially when they were fully capable of preventing it if only they fed their bodies properly! Both of my parents are already in that state.

    So I continue to lead by example until it starts to click for them to do the same especially for my littler sister. Which has helped me embody the saying "Actions speak louder then words."

    I look forward to learning more about the improvement of your health and I wish you the best of health as well.

    ~EmbraceNatural

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your life. We need food to survive & it's all around us. It's hard to change a way of life that has been the way forever. Even if it means life or death. For me, I'm dying faster every day that the weight dosen't come off. And you have struggled to keep it on. I agree that children need to learn proper portions, healthy foods, on & on. I have had food issues since I was 9 or 10. Up & down! Now I'm forced to listen more to my body & I teach my kids the same. I want my kids to have a better self image. I look forward to knowing you better & will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

    ReplyDelete